I decided to tackle my bookshelves last week. I reorganized, categorized some, discarded a whopping five books. Along the way I made a few discoveries.
Some of my Maeve Binchy books
I’d consider about 21 of my books to be reference books; I’m not ever going to read them cover-to-cover. About 41 are fiction books I’ve read that I just have to keep, including my collection of 22 Maeve Binchy books. I didn’t make a final book count in the house because that would have meant counting my husband’s books and all the books I have for grandkids and other littles that visit. Speaking of kids’ books, I have 13 Golden books, 15 in my set of Chidlcraft from my own childhood, 12 Great Illustrated Classics, a set of 11 “My Book House” books from my father-in-law, plus quite a list of pictures books.
Of the 270 (+) TBR books, here are some breakdowns:
- 11 “Irish” books
- 33 biographical
- 17 “classics”
- about 50 kid/YA books
- 8 short story/ collections
- a variety of 49 fictional books
- and… I think I’m embarrassed about this … 42 books about writing
So, where does all this lead? Hopefully to me stepping away from the computer and TV and reading more. But, when I AM on that computer, I need to be putting one of those 42 writing books to good use.
Last September I made a list of my goals for the month. I thought I’d revisit them to see how I did/how I’m doing now.
- Lose 2 pounds. I’ve lost 20 since then.
- Cut out more sugar. I’ve done this, though I need to get back to it again.
- Walk 3 days a week. Nope, but I am walking more and was able to do a 10 mile hike this summer.
- Work on my book at least 5 hours a week. Nope – but I do get to it in fits and spurts.
- Visit my youngest daughter. I did that last October.
- Redeem at least twice in Bubblews. Don’t write for them anymore. They stink.
- Brush my dog’s teeth every day. Nope, poor thing. But I do remember sometimes.
- Plant some flowers. Nope, but I’ve planted herbs I got at Pepper Place and they are thriving. I have chocolate mint, oregano, lemon basil, and lavender.
- Spend an hour a week working on my photos. Nope, but I got some great shots this past year.
- Find two red pillows for the couch. Nope, but I DID get some other great pillows – blues, yellows, and birds.
All in all, I’m okay with the goals I met and the ones I tweaked. I’ll try to crank up the walking and dog tooth-brushing and plant some fall flowers. Maybe I’ll even dust off the manuscript.
This post was inspired by Javacia Harris Bowser. You can read her post HERE. I decided to alphabetize my list – it’s the teacher in me. 🙂 Since she had a song in hers, I’m including one I love, too – Rainy Night in Georgia sung by Boz Scaggs.
- Back porch mornings
- BFF Cathy – we have known each other for over 40 years
- BOGO school supplies
- Bulletproof Coffee
- Discovering B’ham
- Freshly painted bathrooms
- Hiking at Red Mountain
- Husband of 36 years
- Loretta, my black lab
- Making my own schedule
- Microwaved pepperoni dipped in hummus (just ask me)
- Mom – my example and support
- My grandkids – I love both of them so much my heart aches
- My kids – four plus my DIL
- PackPoint app
- Pepper Place Market
- Prepping for Montana
- Rug from World Market
- Steak from the backyard grill
- The soft wind
- Toss pillows
- Writing letters
- Zumba videos